Several programs of teacher-librarian education are available in BC and beyond.
University of British Columbia
UBC offers two specific programs in teacher-librarianship in the Faculty of Education and graduate programs in the iSchool.
1. Certificate in Teacher Librarianship
- 15 credits (5 credit courses) for courses which teach the basics of teacher-librarianship.
- For qualified teachers with a degree from a recognized university.
- Has both on-line and independent study courses.
2. Diploma in Teacher Librarianship
- For certified teachers with at least 2 years’ classroom teaching.
- 30 credits of senior course work.
- 5 year limit to complete.
- May apply to transfer courses from some other Western Canadian universities.
3. Masters Degree e.g. MLIS, MACL
iSchool (School of Library, Archival and Information Studies): http://slais.ubc.ca/
University of Alberta
The University of Alberta offers a Masters degree in teacher-librarianship via distance learning.
N.B. UBC and U of A have a reciprocal agreement for transfer of courses. Check the web sites provided for more information.